City Region welcomes rail improvements
The winning bidders for the new Northern and TransPennine Express franchises starting in April 2016 are Arriva Rail North Ltd (Northern) and First TransPennine Express Ltd. (TransPennine Express).
Martin McKervey, Sheffield City Region Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP) lead member for Transport, said:
“Businesses in Sheffield City Region will welcome this news which will bring higher quality, more train seats and more frequent services to our area. Making local transport services better is central to our growth plan and this takes our area in the right direction to achieving our economic goals.”
Rail passengers travelling into and out of Sheffield City Region will benefit from:
• Fully refurbished trains on the South TransPennine route to Manchester.
• Six more Northern trains per day to Manchester via the Hope Valley, to provide a full hourly service.
• At least 13 trains per day to Hull via Doncaster (out of a total of 17), and at least 10 trains per day to Nottingham and Leeds (via Wakefield Westgate) will be operated by brand new diesel trains as part of the Northern Connect network.
• A new direct link to Bradford Interchange with Northern Connect.
• The route to Lincoln will also become part of the Northern Connect network, with journey time savings of 5 to 10 minutes.
• More off-peak services to Worksop and Retford (2 trains per hour).
• Faster journeys to Nottingham with Northern Connect.
• An additional fast service between Sheffield and Leeds via Wakefield Westgate.
• Hourly Sunday services to Leeds (via Moorthorpe), Huddersfield and Lincoln.
In addition to the benefits arising from being on the Northern Connect network to Sheffield and Hull, passengers at Doncaster will also benefit from more modern and/or brand new electric trains on local services to Leeds.
Elsecar will have a half-hourly Northern service to both Barnsley and Leeds.
Barnsley, Chapeltown and Meadowhall will become Northern Connect stations, benefitting from a staff presence between 0600 and 2200 daily, free Wi-Fi and catering outlets.