New look for urban centres in booming Sheffield City Region
- £1bn opportunities on offer
A wave of regeneration across the Sheffield City Region is seeing urban centres revitalised, construction underway at large brownfield sites close to town centres, and a major drive to build new homes.
Two massive investments in the region announced recently by supercar makers McLaren and aero giant Boeing have highlighted the confidence of key investors in a booming region which is bringing opportunities worth £1billion to MIPIM.
Join us to hear about exciting developments in the Sheffield City Region:
Urban Regeneration and Housing Opportunities in the Sheffield City Region
- Date: Wednesday 15 March 2017
- Time: 3pm-5pm
- Venue: Sheffield City Region Headquarters, Residence Riviera Palace, 5 Rue de Lerins, 2nd Floor (with lift), 06400 Cannes
- Please click on Eventbrite page to book and RSVP with any dietary requirements
Strategic funding from the Sheffield City Region (SCR) via its dedicated Infrastructure Fund has speeded up progress on a range of projects. Some will improve access to development sites: Doncaster’s Waterfront Quarter and Chesterfield’s Peak Resort leisure destination are examples. Some, such as the Vesuvius former brickworks site in Worksop, will unlock commercial development and home building.
Others will provide greater access to motorways and major infrastructure assets: such as the improvements to Junction 36 of the M1 in Barnsley and the link road to Doncaster Sheffield Airport.
- The £400 million Peak Resort leisure complex on 300 acres north of Chesterfield. £2.8 million SCR funding will build access from the A61, and connect bicycle and footpath networks to the nearby Peak District National Park and the town of Chesterfield. The project, set to create 1,300 jobs, is a joint venture between UK development company Peak Worldwide and US firm Grand Heritage Hotel Group. Work started this month. (March)
- The £340million Waterside mixed development close to the centre of Chesterfield. Enabling works levelling the site for a hotel, shops, apartments, a multi-storey car park and offices have been brought forward thanks to a £2.7 million grant from the SCR. The project is set to create 300 jobs and is one of the largest regeneration projects in the UK.
The region’s town centres and Sheffield’s city centre are enjoying a renaissance as they work on multi-million-pound regeneration schemes which will enable them to compete with world-leading rivals.
A public-private sector development will create a fresh, vibrant town centre with its much-loved market still firmly at its heart. The £85million redevelopment brings forward over 30,000 sq m. of new retail and leisure space.
£1billion worth of transformation is underway in this significant sub-regional employment centre. In addition to the Peak Resort and Waterside schemes, major plans are proposed for the town centre. Chesterfield is one of the top retail hotspots according to a recent ranking of the top 100 retail locations in the UK compiled by Property Week. Chesterfield appeared at number 26 in the list, ahead of major cities such as Birmingham and Leeds and just behind Manchester at 25.
The £300million Civic and Cultural Quarter offers opportunities for residential, retail and leisure development: a new performance venue, civic square and new council offices are already completed.
Waterfront, Doncaster, is one of the largest brownfield sites in the UK with £23million infrastructure investment to date. It is part of the massive £670million redevelopment across Doncaster city centre, Doncaster Sheffield Airport, and the Keepmoat Stadium, home of Doncaster Rovers football team. Waterfront is set to create hundreds of jobs.
The town is creating a Masterplan for the next decade embracing 13 development sites including a new higher education campus and potentially town-centre and waterfront housing and leisure opportunities.
Urban regeneration is just part of the picture of success and opportunities in the Sheffield City Region. Journalists, investors and developers are invited to join us at MIPIM Cannes, either at our stand in the Palais des Festivals R7 C17 all week, to hear about the £1billion opportunities the region’s team is promoting, or at one of the events below where exciting announcements will be made.