Dan Jarvis was elected Mayor of the Sheffield City Region in May 2018. Read his 101 manifesto commitments here.
In his first year in office, working with the Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP) and our local councils, millions of pounds were invested in communities across our region, in projects such as the Glassworks in Barnsley; the Century Business Park in Rotherham; Parkwood Ski Village in Sheffield; and Doncaster Sheffield Airport.
Priorities for the Mayor have included transport and active travel, growing our region’s economy, and devolution.
South Yorkshire now has a transport strategy that aligns with a pan-northern transport strategy; the Mayor has launched a major bus review, which will consult with residents, businesses and operators to look at how our bus services can better serve our communities; and Britain’s most successful female Paralympian, Dame Sarah Storey, has been appointed as our Active Travel Commissioner.
The Sheffield City Region is also developing new partnerships; through initiatives such as a homelessness summit, a Music Board and a Youth Combined Authority. Much has been done – and there’s lots more to do
Find out more about what has been achieved during the Mayor’s term so far:
Awarded Local Growth Fund (LGF) funding, with the SCR Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP) for projects including:
- Waverley District Centre project in Rotherham
- Sheffield’s ‘Grey to Green’ programme, including new cycle routes, planting and public art around Castlegate and Exchange Street.
- Doncaster’s Quality Streets programme
- Digital Media Centre 2, in Barnsley
- Barnsley Glass Works regeneration scheme
- Expansion of the Yorkshire Wildlife Park
- New Gulliver’s Valley theme park in Rotherham
- Vulcan to the Sky
- Doncaster’s Civic and Cultural Quarter
- Parkwood Springs Ski Village
- Rotherham Century Business Park
The Mayor has also:
- Opened the new Boeing Factory in Sheffield, the new McLaren factory in Rotherham, and three new University of Sheffield Advanced Engineering Research Centres.
- Led a Northern Powerhouse delegation to the UK-China Regional Leaders Summit
- Made the case in Parliament and with fellow Metro Mayors for Sheffield City Region’s fair share of the UK Shared Prosperity Fund.
- Granted £4.1m support for a new film, tv and VFX Academy and Film Studio in the Dearne Valley from the MCA and LEP
- Awarded funding for the Sheffield Hallam University National Centre for Food Engineering
- Championed Working Win: the Sheffield City Region’s trailblazing health-led employment trial
- Launched the Sheffield City Region’s Skills Bank, to help businesses invest in their workforce and improve their productivity
- Supported the Children’s University, to improve life opportunities for disadvantaged children from the region
- Worked with fellow Metro Mayors to press government for more local control over the skills system.
- Convened the first Regional Homelessness Summit, bringing together more than 100 key partners from across the region
- Convened the first Sheffield City Region round-table session, in partnership with the Directors of Public Health, to understand how to reduce excess winter deaths
- Secured Sheffield City Region Living Wage accreditation
- Improved the gender balance on the LEP Board
- Became the first LEP Board in the country to appoint a trade union representative onto its Board.
- Launched the new Sheffield City Region Youth Combined Authority.
- Published the Mayor’s vision for Transport
- Approved a detailed Sheffield City Region Transport Strategy
- Announced a review of bus services in South Yorkshire, to be chaired by Clive Betts MP
- Convened transport and active travel partners at the Mayor’s Transport Conference
- Appointed Dame Sarah Storey as Active Travel Commissioner for the Sheffield City Region
- Launched the new Tram-Train service linking Rotherham and Sheffield – the first time such technology has been used in the UK
- Approved £3.8m for improvements to the A61 inner ring road in Sheffield
- Lobbied Government for upgrades to the Hope Valley Line and Sheffield Midland station
- Represented Sheffield City Region on Transport for the North
- Produced the Region’s first Transforming Cities bid, for up to £220m in transport funding
- Granted £3.46m for the Upper Don Valley flood alleviation scheme in north west Sheffield
- Delivered an Armistice Tree Planting project in schools across the region
- Joined mayors and council leaders at the National Clean Air Summit, to call on Government to adopt legally binding air pollution limits, and to provide the funding and powers required to deliver zero emission transport networks
- Agreed LGF funds for 35 affordable homes in Darfield
- Agreed £350,000 in LGF funding for 25 houses and apartments aimed at first-time buyers in Mexborough
- Agreed a joint position on the progression of devolution in the region with the four South Yorkshire leaders.
- Moved Mayoral Combined Authority meetings to a more accessible location and introduced webcasting of meetings
- Recruited a new LEP Chair, James Muir.
- Led the first debate in parliament on the future of Post-Brexit Funding and the UK Shared Prosperity Fund in Parliament.