This page provides information to candidates standing in the 3 May 2018 Sheffield City Region Combined Authority Mayoral election.
The nomination period for this election ran from Wednesday 28 March 2018 to 4pm Friday 6 April 2018.
The Combined Authority Returning Officer (CARO) was not able to accept nomination papers delivered outside of these times.
Candidates were required to submit the following as part of their nomination:
- A completed Nomination Form
- 100 signatures (including 10 from each of the four local authority areas of Barnsley, Doncaster, Rotherham and Sheffield) of people on the electoral register for this election
- A signed and witnessed Consent to Nomination Form
- A deposit of £5000, which is returned if the candidate receives more than five percent of the total valid first choice votes cast in the election for Mayor. Follow the secure payment link below.
- A payment of £3000 if the candidate should choose to include materials in the official Mayoral election booklet. Follow the secure payment link below.
- A certificate from the registered political party’s nominating officer, where the candidate is not an independent
- A signed request to use a registered political party’s emblem on the ballot paper if the candidate wished to use an emblem.
Candidates were required to deliver their nomination papers by hand to the CARO.
An informal meeting to offer information and guidance for prospective candidates was held on Friday 2 March. The slides presented at the meeting are available here.
You can contact the CARO office with any queries you may have about standing as a candidate or the election on the contact details below:
The Combined Authority Returning Officer
Sheffield City Region Executive Team
South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive
11 Broad Street West
Telephone: 0114 220 3400
Candidates were given the opportunity to have an address published in the Mayoral Candidate Information Booklet, which was sent to all registered voters for this election. To have their election address included, candidates were asked to pay a £3,000 contribution toward the cost of producing the booklet.
Candidates are entitled to a free copy of the electoral register and absent voter lists for each of the constituent authorities in Sheffield City Region Combined Authority. The request must be made in writing to the relevant Electoral Registration Officer, forms for which are available as part of the nomination pack for candidates. Nomination packs will be available from the CARO office from 2 March 2018.
The Electoral Commission provides a series of comprehensive guides and resources to support candidates and agents, which can be accessed here.
This includes more information on the nomination process including the qualifications and disqualifications for standing as a candidate, spending, donations and campaigning. Please note, the CARO is unable to give legal advice on a candidate’s eligibility to stand at the election. Candidates and agents in particular should familiarise themselves with the Electoral Commission’s guidance prior to the election.
Please find below links to relevant legislation relating to the Combined Authority Mayoral election.