For over 20 years, Supertram has been connecting high numbers of people to jobs, education, shopping and leisure in Sheffield and beyond. Making over 12 million passenger journeys a year, it plays an important role in the wider public transport network within the Region and is recognised as an attractive, reliable and efficient mode of travel.
A 2014 study found that after more than 20 years of continuous operation, parts of the existing tram network and vehicles are approaching the end of their working life. Whilst ongoing maintenance costs are paid for by the current tram operator (Stagecoach), there is no funding currently in place for the long-term renewal of the system.
Around £230m of investment is needed to allow the Supertram network to operate for at least another 30 years, and Department for Transport funding will be required to support this. For this reason, we are developing a business case.
We are working with the South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive to establish what the future of the Supertram system might look like. The consultation opens on Monday 24 September and runs until Monday 5 November.
There are a number of ways you can have your say. Visit www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/futuretram and complete the online survey or pick up a paper copy from the Interchange Customer Service desk which are located:
- Sheffield Interchange, Archway Centre, Pond Square, Sheffield, S1 2BD
- Meadowhall Interchange, Meadowhall Road, Sheffield, S9 1EP
- Hillsborough Interchange, 540 Langsett Road, Hillsborough, Sheffield, S6 2LX
- Arundel Gate Interchange, 30 Arundel Gate, Sheffield, S1 2PP
- Rotherham Interchange (Forge Island), Corporation Street, Rotherham, S60 1NG
- Doncaster Frenchgate Interchange, Off Trafford Way, Doncaster, DN1 1PJ
- Barnsley Interchange, Eldon Street North, Barnsley, S70 1SE