The Glass Works is being built on a 3.8-hectare site in the heart of Barnsley town centre. The Glass Works will include:
• 26 new retail units
• 4 leisure units including a 13 screen Cineworld and a Superbowl Laser quest facility
• 7 restaurants
• A new refurbished Market Hall and associated Food Hall
• A new Market Kitchen food court
• A comprehensive programme of public realm for the scheme and wider town centre
• A 500 space car park
The scheme is designed to address the chronic leakage of local retail and leisure spend as evidenced in the 2016 FSP report that identified 59% of Barnsley catchment residents do not use Barnsley Town centre as a retail destination.
The scheme will also act as a catalyst for wider private sector investment in the town centre, borough and wider city region. Headline outputs Include:
• 544 new housing units
• 58,650 sqm. (GEA) of additional commercial space in Barnsley.
• Leverage of an additional £86m in private-led investment to unlock new development site opportunities in the borough.
Beyond this the scheme will also stimulate investment in wider transport infrastructure, The new Market Gate pedestrian bridge opens up significant opportunities for not only investment in the infrastructure but adjacent development sites, e.g. the N Power Eastern Fringe site and the Courthouse Digital campus.
A fly through of the scheme is available at https://theglassworksbarnsley.com/
This project, which is currently in delivery, includes a contribution from the Government’s Local Growth Fund resources which is part of the Government’s continued investment in the Northern Powerhouse.
SCR LGF allocation: £7,430,000
Total project cost: £142,303,975
If you have any comments about the scheme please get in touch through the ‘Contact Us’ email address below or contact the promoter directly. In any case, we will share relevant comments with the scheme promoter.
A full record of endorsements and approvals is held on file at Sheffield city Region offices.